Use the buttons above to navigate this website
Digging up our past
mystery in Brundall?
On the Finch Way estate in The
Street, part of the wall of what was
Brundall House (pulled down in 1969)
This plaque with the outline of a fish
is to be found on it. Can anyone
discover what it is?
There are the initials P.W. inscribed
plus a date.
Between 2015 and 2018 a series of archaeological
test-pit digs were run in Brundall by Cambridge
University under its community archaeology
out more about the test pit digs around Brundall
Fatal gun accident in Brundall
‘In Memory of John Frederick Moy who was
accidentally shot, August 21 1875, aged 11 years’ is
the intriguing wording on a small grave in Brundall
Churchyard. In the EDP of August 24th 1875
there is a report of the inquest into this very sad
out more about John Moy
Did you know Brundall has a hat named after it?
'Brundall’ is a cap made by the once well-known
hat-maker Rumsey Wells. He was proud of the fact
that they were made in ‘the capital of the King’s
County, Norfolk’ and he gave his caps local names
such as the Blofield, the Brancaster, the Brundall
and the Reepham. Find
out more about the Brundall Cap
Recalling past times in
Marion Read (née Cumby) remembers
growing up on Low Farm, Postwick Lane after the
second world war,as told to Barbara Ayers.
her stories about farming in Brundall after World
Some years ago Colman’s looked all over the world
for the best mint to use in their mint sauce.
Their then crops manager, John Hemingway, found the
ideal plant in his own back garden in Postwick Lane,
Brundall. Find out
more about Brundall Mint
Wonderful wildlife and plants
Not so long ago Cremer’s Meadow was occupied by
Daisy, the horse, and a lot of white geese.
After Ivan Cremer’s death, his wife, sold the
four-acre site to Brundall Parish Council for a
country park. What
to see and do at Cremer's Meadow
A local museum to visit
The Museum of the Broads is situated off the A149
and on Stalham Staithe. It has many sheds
containing boats and artefacts and other items and
boats on display outside. Museum
of the Broads
Brundall in 1914
Eleven young men from Brundall and Braydeston were
to lose their lives in the First World War.
How did they feel as they left their homes,
families, and friends behind and what memories did
they take with them of the place in which they’d
grown up? Brundall
Every picture tells a story
Take a look at some charming photographs taken in
Brundall in 1925 by William Watson Tripp. William
was an artist, printer, and Methodist lay preacher,
who, in the 1960s lived in Stafford Road, Great
Signalling a special place
In 2013 the signal box at the eastern end of
Brundall station was given Grade II listed status
under the Planning (Listed Buildings and
Conservation Areas) Act 1990 for its special
architectural and historic interest. Find out why it is so
A good read
These books, although not necessarily about local
subjects, have been recommended by our
members. They all have something to do with
history, events or local people.
Allotments, an orchard, and room to run
Farmland in Postwick Lane was bought with funding
received from Persimmon Homes who built The Pastures
in Cucumber Lane, and a countryside park was opened
in June 2015. More
about what goes on at the Countryside Park
The future for our neighbourhood
In March 2016, Brundall residents voted by a
majority of 95% of those voting, to implement a
neighbourhood plan that had been put together by a
working group made up of representatives from
different organisations in the village, including
Brundall Local History Group. Brundall
If there is anything you would like to
have put on this page, please send it to
peruse these 'interesting' pages, you will
doubtless notice the name Barbara Ayers
coming up again and again. Barbara was
the Library Manager who got together many
residents of the village to write the
original 'Book of Brundall and Braydeston'
published in 2007, and has been the
Secretary of the BLHG since its inception.
You will see Barbara on her bike nearly
every day in the village. She has
researched information for our books and is
adding to the archive on our laptop.
5th April 2016.
We have heard of the death of Mrs Mary
Snelling on 1st April at the age of
110. She moved to Brundall during the
2nd World War with her parents, having been
bombed out of their house in Norwich.
They lived in Norfolk House on the corner of
Strumpshaw Road and Blofield Road. She
had two sisters, one of whom also lived to
over 100. They lived in St Catherines,
the bungalow in Strumpshaw Road next to
Norfolk House. She was a very loyal
member of Braydeston Church and spent some
of her final years in Norfolk House, which
is now a Care Home.