World War Two saw the
village inundated with different regiments of the army
and ATS. Many of the large houses were
commandeered for their billets, officers' quarters and
even some artillery was nearby.
These old Nissen huts, in the grounds
of Holm Close, were used as accommodation by the
Royal Engineers regiment then for Italian prisoners of
war. After the Italians left,
these huts were used by people who had been unable to
find their own housing.
This mural painted by Italian POWs
was found at Holm Close Lodge when the house was being
These are the members of the Royal
Observer Corps, Brundall, 1939-45.
They manned the post which was in the field between
the Mission and Links Avenue.
Their Post was a wooden box-like structure about ten
feet square standing on iron legs
and open to the sky. Full timers did eight hours
on watch and part timers four hours.
Their aircraft recognition had to be of a very high
standard in order to pass accurate information
to the Norwich Headquarters to be used by the RAF as
well as the anti-aircraft gunners.
This Memorial in St Laurence Church is to Brundall men
who died in the Second World War.