Brundall must surely be unusual in that it has two railway stations! The line between Norwich and Yarmouth
(now called 'The Wherry line') was opened in 1844 and went via Reedham, calling at many small stations on
the way. Brundall Gardens Halt owes its existence to an entrepreneur, Mr Frederick Holmes Cooper, who had
acquired the estate in 1917. He persuaded the LNER bosses to open a 'Halt' near the popular Brundall Gardens
where 80,000 people visited by road or river each year.. The Halt itself was of simple construction and
Mr Cooper paid £150 per year for 15 years to provide and staff it.
A train coming in to Brundall Halt Station
Note the coach body on the up line which provided protection for passengers waiting for their train home.
Brundall Station, c 1915. A goods train - T26 class No. 490 - is met by stationmaster William Miles and staff.
This picture shows the railway crossing which is still in existence. The track leading down to the river
in the distance is now a made-up road with chalets facing the river on the right hand side, and
the Marina and many ancilliary businesses on the left.
This train is on its way from Brundall towards Norwich in the early 1900s
Brundall Gardens Halt Station in 1924 soon after it was opened. The railway carriage on the left
served as the waiting room.
Brundall Halt Station again showing another carriage used as a waiting room. Perhaps
the other one wore out?