| Public houses of
There has probably been an Inn on
this site on The Street, nearly
opposite the church, for about 500
There was a wheelwright's and
carpenter's yard at the eastern end
where repairs would have been
out to the coaches that stopped at
the Inn. In about 1890 Charles
Broom, who later became the boat
was the landlord. Later in
1962 Gordon Rope took over the
Ram. He had been in the Royal
and had sail making
experience. In 1959 he started
his own sail making business in
and carried on with this when he
became landlord of the pub.
The Ram today is hardly
recognisable, but the upper storey
can be seen to be more
or less the same as the picture
above. Out the back much has
To get to the Yare Hotel, go down
Station Road and over the Railway
The hotel is on the right hand
side. The dyke shown in this
picture now belongs to Broom
Boats and is where they store some
of their very large craft.
It is now a popular public house
but on the 1881 census it was
called 'Bleak House'. In
1888 it became the Yare
Hotel. For a short
time in the 1970s it was called
'The Queen Elizabeth' but soon
reverted back to being the Yare!
This most recent picture taken in
February 2016 from the pedestrian
the railway line, shows how the
building has been changed over the
last hundred years.
This house, situated on The Street
in the centre of the village was
once a public house known as 'The
From early in the Twentieth Century
it was renamed 'The Old Beams' and
became a tea room.
This early picture shows the
interior of The Old Beams when it
was a restaurant.
The building has been renamed
Masala Cottage and is an Indian
restaurant with takeaway facilities
The second White
The White Horse Hotel in the 1910s.
The baby in the carriage is George
Spalding whose father and then his
mother were the landlords. By
1959 it was George's turn to
continue the family tradition.
He is with his mother Viola, his
father Harry is standing on the left
and his two stepsisters
are sitting in the carriage.
In the garden at the back of the
hotel he had some chalets built
and transformed a Nissen hut into a
Pavilion which he hired out for many
a charitable function.
He brought in coachloads of tourists
and established cabaret evenings for
In 1973 the pavilion burnt down and
George left The White Horse in 1976
to move into
and manage the Uplands Hotel.
Here you can see the position of the
White Horse in the village. On
the right is Station Road going down
to the Railway
and the boatyards, with the former
Post Office on the corner.
Just past the hotel on the left is
The former Post Office was for a
time an Estate Agents. There
is a Fish and Chip Shop
nearby. Note the bus and
This is the sad time when the dear
old White Horse was demolished and
in its place were built
five 'Executive houses'. This
part of the village is now
The five 'executive houses' on the
left of the picture fill the space
where the White Horse
previously stood. On the right
at the top of Station Road, you can
see the Estate Agents
(formerly the Post Office) and in
the distance is The Manor House
(click on Listed
for more information).