| Medical matters
Brundall may have a
busy health centre now but there was a time
when the village didn’t even have its own GP.
It was served by Blofield doctor, Robert
McKelvie, and then his son Dr John
The Blofield practice held surgeries in Dr
Robert McKelvie’s house (St Ninians), an
outbuilding at ‘Uplands’, and Links Avenue, at
various times until the 1960s.
It was in 1924 that the medical practice,
which was based in Acle, decided that Brundall
needed its own doctor and 'Bradesfield', a
house in Blofield Road was built.
In the 1960s the workload started to become
too great for the one doctor, Dr Ian Gray, and
he was joined by Dr David Varvel in
The Health Centre in The Dales opened in 1980
and by the time Dr Gray retired in 1985 there
were three more doctors working there, Drs
Rigby, Harston and Ashman.
These days, of course, it is not just doctors,
but receptionists, nurses, dispensers, and
many other staff who work there or visit when
Bradesfield in Blofield Road. This was
Dr Gray's residence and where he and Dr Varvel
had their surgeries until the Health
Centre was built.
These extensions were built in 1991 and meant
that there were several more doctor's
and other rooms upstairs
Dr Ian Gray at a reception held at the
Uplands Hotel in 1989 to mark his retirement
after 33 years.
Left to right: George Spalding, Mrs
Spalding, Dr Gray, Colonet G. Dicker, ?, Bill
Elkin, Mrs Beryl Gray
Dr David Varvel who joined Dr Gray in
1969 at Bradesfield and retired in May 2006.
In 1989 radio communications equipment
was installed at the Health Centre, as it was
the result of an Eastern Evening News
appeal for the Norfolk Accident Rescue
was a member of the rescue team