| Listed buildings
As most of
the buildings in the village have no great
age, not many of them are listed.
The two churches have developed over the
centuries; Braydeston Church is Grade One
and Brundall is Grade Two*
The Church of Saint Michael
and All Angels is situated on Braydeston
Hills. It's not certain why the church
is so isolated.
There is no evidence that it was the result of
the Black Death; it may have been due to
changes in land use.
A church is mentioned in the Domesday Book of
1086 and almost certainly stood on this
site. Now it is one of
the Yare Valley Churches, and services take
place on a regular basis.
This photograph of St Laurence Church, just
off The Street at the west end of the village,
was taken before the west extension was built
in June 1963. Before then, in about
1900, the north
aisle, vestry, and pulpit were added, the cost
covered by subscription and help from the
of the then Rector, Reverend Charles Marshall
The Gables, no. 52 The Street (in the centre
of the village), was built about 1690 with
Dutch style gables. It was previously
known as Braydeston Villa. GradeTwo
Built in 1540, the Old Beams was the original
White Horse pub. situated in the centre of the
(Another White Horse pub was built much later
near Blofield Road but has now been
For more on the second White Horse, visit the pubs
This building has been much renovated during
the last few years, and was recently a very
restaurant called 'The Lavender House', whose
chef/proprietor was the award-winning Richard
The building became an Indian restaurant and
takeaway, the Masala Cottage, which has now
closed. It was due to be auctioned with a
guide price of £225,000-£275,000 in early June
2019, but the lot was withdrawn before the
The Manor House is on the east end of the
village, opposite Blofield Road.
You can see the initials on the eastern gable
of the earliest traced owner, Richard Baldwin,
who died in 1725. It was only ever a
Manor House in name.
The Manor Garage was originally the barn to
the Manor House and still has its
thatched roof. In the picture above
taken in 1936 you can see two previous owners
of the garage, Bill Tidman on the right and
Wesley Key on his left.
Believe it or not, on 26th April 2013, our
signal box at Brundall Station was given
listed status because
of its special architectural and historic
interest. It retains almost all of the
original decoration to the
operating floor and the 1927 lever
frame. The box was still in use until
2020 and is to go to the Mid Norfolk Railway.