Braydeston was at one
time a separate village from Brundall and in fact
bigger, but in 1891 the civil parishes amalgamated.
Braydeston is still an ecclesiastical parish with an
isolated church on Braydeston Hills. The boundary
two villages is very tortuous and seemingly
illogical. Both Brundall and Braydeston churches
are part of the
Yare Valley Churches, and at least one service takes
place on Sundays in Braydeston Church.
The correct title of Braydeston Church is St Michael and
What appears to be a road over Braydeston Hills has now
become a track and is just a footpath.
Cattle are sometimes to be seen grazing on the
Hills. To the left of this track is another which
goes straight to Blofield Church, about 600 yards away.
The interior of the church is very light with the sun
streaming in through the large windows on sunny days.
Brundall Church, or St Laurence's, is very small and
nowhere big enough to serve the present population.
However, it has a thriving congregation and undertakes
many activites, especially for young people and the
This photograph dates from about 1900.
This picture of St Laurence Church
was taken in 2007. You can see the west
which was built in the mid 20th Century and dedicated
The font dates from the 13th
century, and is the only lead one in Norfolk and
one of only about 30 remaining in Britain.
This photograph of the interior
of the church was taken in 2007. You can see
on the left of the picture,
the memorial window to those who fell in the First
World War. For more photographs and
about Brundall Church, see our book 'St Laurence,
Brundall - a parish church and its people through
Click on Shop
St Clements Chapel, which was situated on the left
near the top of Station Road, was founded in the
It was finally demolished in in 1820.
Norfolk Archaelogy has in recent years undertaken
some 'digs' nearby,
the results of which should become available
during the next few years.
This little chapel, Westfield Mission, is to be
found down Golf Links Road, just off Highfield
It was opened on 24th January in 1934, probably a
Boulton & Paul design, At the end of
disaster struck when the chapel was completely
destroyed by fire in a suspected arson attack.
By November of the following year, such was
the faith of the small congregation that they
able to have a
new chapel built designed by one of their
number, Peter Dean, an architect.